The main building in the village of Runnington is the church, first recorded in the 12th century, with Will de Lydford being the first recorded Rector in the early 1300’s.
The present church of St Peter and St Paul, built of red sand stone, dates back to the 15th century. It has undergone a number of alterations over the centuries, notably the removal of the rood screen which must have been used by singers and musicians until the coming of the organ when it was removed. The access to it can still be seen.
Alterations made during the Victorian period have left their mark on the floor which is covered with typical Victorian tiles.
Marriages are woven into the history of the church with a legend that Edward 4th married Elizabeth Woodville secretly in the Runnington church. The truth probably is that they were married in secret in Reading Palace.
During the Commonwealth period 1651-1653 Runnington Church was frequently used for marriages as Wellington Church had no roof due to extensive repairs.
It may be one of the smallest parishes in the Diocese but this well cared for little church is well worth a visit. Services are held on the 1st 3rd and 4th Sunday of every month.